Employers in Highland, Fayette and Clinton Counties can expect $5.2 million in rebate checks this month from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC), agency officials announced on Wednesday, July 11th, during a visit to Washington Court House.
“BWC is pleased to present the region’s employers with $5.2 million they can use to strengthen and grow their businesses,” said Bob Braun, BWC Regional Business Development Manager. “While the money is theirs to spend as they see fit, we encourage employers to invest in workplace safety measures that prevent injuries and reduce their workers’ comp costs.”
The checks are part of a $1.5 billion rebate to Ohio employers this summer, BWC’s fourth rebate of similar magnitude since 2013 and the agency’s largest in 20 years.
The rebates are possible because of the agency’s healthy investment income, falling claims and prudent fiscal management. The rebate brings workers’ comp savings for all Ohio employers to $8 billion since 2011.
Braun asked employers to watch their mailboxes for the checks, which BWC is mailing in batches through the end of July. He also detailed the totals each of the counties can expect to receive:
Fayette County: $1,702,363.53
Clinton County: $1,968,509.52
Highland County: $1,601,760.65
Dessie Rogers, Executive Director of the Wilmington-Clinton County Chamber of Commerce, said the rebate will be a boon to the region’s economy.
“This $5.2 million rebate truly represents an investment in our regional economy,” said Rogers. “I hope our businesses are able to reinvest these dollars back into the safety and well-being of their employees – our friends, families, and neighbors.”
Rebate amounts going to individual public employers by county are here. Rebates for specific private employers are not public record.
The rebate also includes several safety initiatives BWC announced at press conference last month. The $44 million investment over two years includes $8 million in safety grants for law enforcement and to improve school safety and security.